How much car insurance do I need in Park Ridge, IL?

Every state in the United States requires drivers to carry a minimum amount of car insurance and residents in Park Ridge, IL are no exception. Drivers in Illinois are required to carry a liability insurance policy and uninsured motorist coverage.

All auto insurance policies have varying amounts of coverage. Licensed drivers in the state of Illinois have a required amount of coverage that must be kept in order to legally drive. Drivers can purchase a policy that provides more coverage than is required by law, but they must have a current policy that provides the minimum amount of coverage.

The Minimum Liability Insurance Coverage Required

Currently, drivers are required to carry liability insurance. This type of insurance policy will provide coverage in the event that injuries or property damage happens as a result of an accident that is found to be your fault.

The current laws require drivers to carry a minimum of $20,000 for bodily injury per person with a total of $40,000 bodily injury claims per accident. Property damage coverage must have at least $15,000.

Drivers are not required to carry coverage that protects themselves or their own property. While many insurance policies include this type of coverage, it is not required by state law.

State laws are always subject to change. These limits are current as of 2014, but may be increased in 2015.

Required Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage

Occasionally during an accident the individual who is at fault will not have adequate insurance coverage. This may be because they are underinsured for such an occasion or they may carry no auto insurance at all.

In the event that this happens, uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage will help with the costs associated with any bodily injury or property damage that occurs. The state of Illinois required drivers to carry a minimum limit of $20,000 per person and $40,000 per accident, in this type of insurance.

Don’t get caught in a situation where you are underinsured. Contact your Bob Korvas agent to explore various auto insurance policies and to make sure you have the proper coverage you need to drive in Park Ridge, IL.